advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Corporation
Posted by: hwystar
Date: December 19, 2005 11:34PM
There is an interesting documentary premiering on Sundance channel tonight. The title is "The Corporation". It is rated 8.4/10 on IMDB.com [imdb.com]

It discusses the concept of the corporation and its role in society, how it evolved, and how it has been imbued with the legal rights of an individual person, albeit an immortal one. Here are some user comments on the movie: [imdb.com].

It is showing again on Sunday 12/25 at 9:30/8:30 AM and on Thursday 12/29 at 1:30/12:30 PM. This show should be required viewing IMO for everyone who is of voting age or plans on ever voting in this country.

I am among those who think that corporations have their use and benefit to society, but I think that they have been given too much power, too many rights, and there is not enough effective oversight of them or constraints on their behavior.

Personally, I think that corporations should not be allowed to contribute to political campaigns, or political parties, etc. and that only individuals, not lobbyists, PACs, corporations, unions, or other special interest groups should be allowed to financially influence lawmakers, either before they are elected or during their term, or to reward them financially with incentives, or sweetheart deals, or lucrative positions after they have been in office. I think that we will continue to have a warped and distorted form of government more beholden to rich and powerful special interests than to the individuals of their constituency, until we remedy this problem.

I think that this is one of the fundamental changes to our present political system that would have the most far-reaching positive influence. I believe that we have over compensated in giving corporations as much power and rights as they have, and now they are more powerful and organized than individuals, and much more influential, and can cause laws to be written to favor them, and give them more power, money, and rights. Individuals do not have that opportunity. This tilts the balance of power and influence in our society.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

hwystar

teelblue">"The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who loves his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair." ~H. L. Mencken Ibid.: "The Coolidge Buncombe", pp.411-2
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Corporation
Posted by: Patroklos
Date: December 20, 2005 09:36AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully I can rent it sometime.

I'm sure there are opposing viewpoints that run along the lines of "well, that's what made America great, do you really want to go backwards?".

-------------------------------------------------------
"We live in a fast-moving society, with short memories."
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: December 20, 2005 09:46AM
A corporation IS people.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 20, 2005 11:13AM
I watched it for 15 minutes and then grew bored with it. I shut the TV off 5 minutes after that.

For me, the film was preaching to the converted, and I didn't learn anything I already knew. If you want to rent a funnier and more original satire of corporate culture, rent the "Yes Men"

[imdb.com]
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:06PM
A friend of mine has told me a couple of times to watch The Corporation as he thought a good deal of it. I'll give it a shot.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: December 20, 2005 03:02PM
SteveJobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A corporation IS people.

A corporation is not, however, a person. With limited liability ought to come limitations on rights.

The founders had a very different idea of corporations from what we have today. They were trying to avoid monsters like the East India Company, so they limited the role of the Federal government in chartering corporations.

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. Thomas Jefferson, 1816

(and I don't for a minute believe that the real Steve Jobs is posting here)
Posted by: endymion
Date: December 21, 2005 12:51AM
Here here. I personally agree wholeheartedly with the conjecture that corporations should have very limited rights in the civic realm. However, because these entities pay taxes, and because corporations benefit their owners and those who have business relationships with them (be it vendors, customers, or employees) I guess there is some argument to be made for "taxation without representation."

At this time, though, the pendulum has definitely swung too far in favor of corporate profitability at the expense of the well being of the general citizenry, especially those human beings who have no ownership of any kind of corporation.
g=
Post About Dakota
Posted by: Black
Date: November 02, 2010 11:21PM
Post About Dakota

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Re: Post About Dakota
Posted by: Black
Date: November 02, 2010 11:22PM
Tips and Deals --- 'Friendly' Posts about Dakota

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 11:28PM by Black.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020