advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
World Organization "Club of Rome" predicts overpopulation will result in die-off.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 04, 2006 04:00PM
[www.clubofrome.org]
<www.clubofrome.org/docs/limits.rtf>
Our conclusions are :

1. If the present growth trends in world population, industrialization, pollution, food production, and resource depletion continue unchanged, the limits to growth on this planet will be reached sometime within the next one hundred years. The most probable result will be a rather sudden and uncontrollable decline in both population and industrial capacity.

2. It is possible to alter these growth trends and to establish a condition of ecological and economic stability
that is sustainable far into the future. The state of global equilibrium could be designed so that the basic
material needs of each person on earth are satisfied and each person has an equal opportunity to realize his
individual human potential.

Oh, and in case you were NOT listening, this article is from 1972. I worked on a bit of code for the original 'computer model' that predicted this. When I was in high school. It was in Fortran. Ahh, Fortran...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: World Organization "Club of Rome" predicts overpopulation will result in die-off.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: April 04, 2006 11:07PM
cbelt3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh, and in case you were NOT listening, this
> article is from 1972. I worked on a bit of code
> for the original 'computer model' that predicted
> this.

So, you are taking responsibility for the inaccuracy of the projection? That is refreshing.
Re: World Organization "Club of Rome" predicts overpopulation will result in die-off.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 05, 2006 10:36AM
Sure, you can make a 1970's teenager, who wrote like 100 lines of Fortran having to do with printout formatting, responsible for an intelligent analysis of economics, natural resources, and so forth. I'll take that Nobel now, thank you.

I'm sad to say nobody got the point of the post, which was to offset the earlier FUD post (and political foolishness that ensued as well.)
Date: April 05, 2006 06:19PM
I don't think you can infer a lack of understanding. An equally likely hypothesis is that anybody who bothered to consider your post simply chose to ignore the bait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2006 06:19PM by x-uri.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 05, 2006 09:13PM
cbelt3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sad to say nobody got the point of the post,
> which was to offset the earlier FUD post (and
> political foolishness that ensued as well.)

Many of us got it without feeling the need to bring it to the attention of all that we did.

It is what it is.
Date: April 05, 2006 09:42PM
You know, I wonder why the Limits to Growth is so often cited as wrong-headed doomsaying. AFAIK, it included no predictions about 2000-2006. The projected crash was sometime in the last third of the 100 years between 1970 and 2070.

I'd be interested if cbelt3 would dig out his copy of the report and tell us in what particulars it was in error?

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: April 18, 2006 01:49PM
it still amazes me how much undeveloped land there is out there in this day and age.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020