advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
National Black Churches Initiative calls for Rangel to resign
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: August 02, 2010 09:23AM
Here's the release. I think their reasoning is pretty solid.

NBCI Respectfully Calls for the Resignation of Congressman Rangel

Rangel’s resignation would preserve his legacy of 40 years of admirable service

Washington DC - The National Black Church Initiative (NBCI), a coalition of 34,000 African American churches, is gracefully asking Congressman Charles Rangel to resign. The evidence presented by the House Ethics Committee is overwhelming. It makes no sense for Charles Rangel to continue this process, wasting the time of the American people on a trial in the House. A congressman who has done more for civil and human rights than most will ever hope to accomplish in a lifetime has made some fundamental mistakes. Congressman Rangel is obligated to fully acknowledge these mistakes and prepare his family, his district, and the Black community for his resignation while being amenable to replacement leadership opportunities. One of the crises in the African American community is that our leaders stay too long and thus, undermine the development of new leadership that they themselves to have been advocating within the community.

Charles Rangel has served this nation with distinction and honor. He can ill afford to repeat or to tarnish this distinguished record in light of the fact that he persuaded Harlemites to dump Adam Clayton Powell in favor of him as Rangel was, at the time, considered new, bright, young, black leadership. The Church does not believe that one who has pointed out the faults of his predecessor (Adam Clayton Powell) should replicate the same actions by allowing a young politician to do the same to him. This would be regarded as morally hypocritical. Charles Rangel has an opportunity to avoid putting himself, his family, his district and especially the Black community through another embarrassing public trial. We are sure that his friends he has made over the years in the House of Representatives are not willing to embarrass and humiliate him in front of the nation.

Rev. Anthony Evans, President of The National Black Church Initiative states, “I am proud of Charlie Rangel and what he has done for the nation, especially African Americans. However, I am also ashamed of his actions and his lack of ethical practices regarding money. This sends the wrong message to our young people. You cannot be chairman of the Ways and Means Committee – one that authorizes billions of dollars - and have no integrity when it comes to handling your personal finances and business dealings. This is a moral contradiction and hypocrisy. The message to our young people is that no one is above the law, and it is imperative to avoid the trashing of a distinguished career, like Congressman Rangel, that grown largely on the basis of personal and ethical standards. Despite his faults, NBCI congratulates Charles Rangel for his service to the Black community and our nation.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: National Black Churches Initiative calls for Rangel to resign
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 02, 2010 09:44AM
Well written. Well thought out. Well done.

Will he ? Most assuredly not. The culture of corruption common to politicians is that everything and everyone can be bought. The practice of 'Indulgences" in the 16th Century comes to mind... with sufficient money one can even gain entrance into Heaven.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: August 02, 2010 09:52AM
Rangel’s resignation would preserve his legacy of 40 years of admirable service? He would make a great spokesman for ServePro, "Like It Never Happened"

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: August West
Date: August 02, 2010 10:02AM

One of the crises in the African American community is that our leaders stay too long and thus, undermine the development of new leadership that they themselves to have been advocating within the community.

This seems to be human nature, an unwillingness to step aside. It never ends well.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 02, 2010 10:09AM
I also think their reasoning is pretty solid. It would be great if Rangel would listen to them.

The constant harping by so many on how corrupt politicians are is making me tired. First of all I wish they would distinguish between DC and the rest of the country because I personally know, as in know the people, local politicians who are not at all the scum that people try to make all politicians out to be. Second of all, cynicism like that gives the corrupt ones a big fat pass, since the implication is that since they are all bad anyhow there's no reason to try to change anything. Third and last, we need to begin distinguishing between politicians who are greedy and for hire and politicians who are just plain old fashioned greedy, since the former are in reality worse than the latter. A person can cheat on their taxes and still vote with their conscience, whether or not the lay person has the sophistication to accept that paradox. And that's why Rangel needs to get out of Dodge while he still has a legacy to protect.

Date: August 02, 2010 10:32AM
I think, by and large, that Rangel has done well by his district. I also think he has grabbed what he could get while in office, and that these days he enjoys the perks of office better than the work of the office--constituent service, legislative vision, etc. It is indeed time for him to step aside, and perhaps he will given this appeal. I hope so.
Posted by: swampy
Date: August 02, 2010 11:15AM
Get rid of all the lobbyist because that's where the big bucks get injected into politics. Elect good ethical people, send them to Washington and let them vote their conscience without the money influence. Ask yourself just where Wrangle got his millions.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 02, 2010 11:26AM
$tevie...
Understood. My local (township) politicians are quite honorable and understand public service. In fact one of them is my dentist- he does the town council thing because he feels he is 'paying back' for everything the community has done for him.

However, the whole Cuyahoga County corruption thing.... meh, it's just hard to trust any of these guys once you don't actually know them personally. I've met a few world leaders and national level politicians. Some I trusted, some I didn't.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 02, 2010 11:39AM
Nationally televised ethics trial hearings right before the November elections sounds like fun to me.
Maybe he can misapproriate some gift cards earmaked for the poor and wave his shoes around while disparaging white-folk.
Date: August 02, 2010 12:19PM
Obama's proclamation that Rangel is 80-years old and needs to "move on" is a sort of political death panel. He obviously believes that death panels have wider uses. Why didn't Palin think of that?

After you discover you're riding a dead horse, your best strategy is to dismount.
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 02, 2010 01:29PM
I am certainly NOT defending Rangel, but what business is it of a bunch of church leaders to call for this? Keep the politics out of church! If this was one of those Christian mega church groups, this forum would have exploded.

I say if you want to use your church for politicking, than surrender your tax exemption status!

JPK
Date: August 02, 2010 01:36PM
Quick: how long before somebody cries racism, proving that racism is first and foremost with white Democrats themselves?

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 02, 2010 02:04PM
Dakota
Quick: how long before somebody cries racism, proving that racism is first and foremost with white Democrats themselves?

you did! passively! and to prove your own point!

Date: August 02, 2010 02:12PM
Believe me it is coming, if it hasn't already.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 02, 2010 02:14PM
Get rid of gerrymandering and these politicians wouldn't enjoy life-long "tenure". It'll never happen. The pols have too much invested and too much to lose.

If Rangel would've had to do more than jive talk his Harlem constituents, he might've been a smarter crook.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 02, 2010 02:34PM
He should have hired a DC accountant ?
Date: August 02, 2010 03:01PM
Looks like Maxine Waters will also get hung up in ethics questions too.

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 02, 2010 03:02PM
swampy
Elect good ethical people, send them to Washington and let them ...

...be corrupted by the system.

It's good to see that your youthful naïveté is still intact.
Date: August 02, 2010 05:35PM
JPK, where below does it say that a member of a church cannot express a political opinion, or that churches cannot band together? The anti-establishment clause is entirely on the state side, not the church. It is the principle on which the Christian Coalition is based and while I do not agree with most of what it stands for it is perfectly within its rights to try to influence events.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 02, 2010 06:11PM
Dakota
Believe me it is coming, if it hasn't already.

I, like most everyone else on this forum, can't believe ANYTHING you write here. It's just all too ridiculous. So, you're pretty much talking to yourself when you blather on.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: August 02, 2010 08:00PM
Rick-o

I, like most everyone else on this forum, can't believe ANYTHING you write here. It's just all too ridiculous.

You are too easy. This was a trap that you fell in like a clumsy rat. For the future remember this: don't question me.

Today, an article in Politico cites an unnamed member of the Congressional Black Caucus who claimed that African-American legislators face a higher degree of investigation than do their white counterparts.

Part of the reason for this claim is that, during at least part of this Congress, there was a time in which 8 different representatives under ethics investigation, each of whom were African-American.

Posted by: bfd
Date: August 02, 2010 09:20PM
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 03, 2010 02:02AM
JPK
I say if you want to use your church for politicking, than surrender your tax exemption status!

Have no problems with this. If a church is making money, it should pay taxes.
Posted by: Spock
Date: August 03, 2010 06:59AM
Lux Interior

If a church is making money, it should pay taxes.

+1

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: August 03, 2010 07:46AM
Lux Interior
swampy
Elect good ethical people, send them to Washington and let them ...

...be corrupted by the system.

It's good to see that your youthful naïveté is still intact.

My youthful naivete? Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Date: August 03, 2010 09:46AM
I can't see outlawing lobbying--how would people who are not politically connected get their message across? We need to tighten standards for members of Comgress, not limit voters' rights to petition and influence their government. My press association has a lobbyist who works Annapolis and DC--I sure would not want to do without him. My public library also uses a lobbyist. Lobbying is effective and generally for the public good.

Don't let the powerful convince you to get rid of a very effective tool because a few lobbyists and members of Congress are corrupt. Why do you think the Roger Aileses and Karl Roves of this world keep rabbiting on about corrupt lobbyists? Because they want to discredit the profession and keep more influence for themselves, that's why. Same reason they keep going on about "bias" in the "mainstream media." They're the ones who are biased. Don't let anyone do your thinking for you.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 03, 2010 10:24AM
Every little kid whose class has lobbied for a new state bird or state tree or state jellyfish knows that "lobbying" isn't inherently evil. And the people with the big bucks will always be able to wield their influence somehow because they've got big bucks. UNLESS we can take the need for big bucks out of the election process: a near impossible dream the way things are now. This is why I will again say that election campaigns are too damned long and too damned expensive -- that's the part of the equation which is broken. Campaigning has become a full time career for the people in national office, and that's just nuts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020