advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AppleCare Hell; Part II – “Product Failure”
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 11, 2006 12:11PM
After several months of the client dealing w/ other system and networking failures, while continuing to ignore their need for a more contemporary database server, I decided to deploy the CUSA MDD for my own use, intending to replace the Frankenmac’ed 7300 (G3/500Mhz/1GB RAM, etc) here as the fax server. When I started to do more than just fire it up, and actually started poking around the hard drive to see what was on it, the machine started acting pretty quirky, especially in OS X. After much hassle, I upgraded it to X.3.5, and was able to poke around the drive, where I found several years of somebody else’s photos, and a bunch of other data. Upon the discovery of the extent of the data, I thought I would do a clean install of X.3.9 (hoping to eliminate the quirkiness), burn DVD’s of the drive to take back to CUSA, then wipe the drive to start fresh.

The X.3.9 install crapped out, and gave some sort of disk error message, so I tried again, and got the same result. The machine did boot into 9, so I tried to DiskWarrior it from there, which took a couple of days. I finally got an install of X back on it, which lasted only long enough to open a few folders for inspection, before the machine really started fritzing out. Needless to say, by this time I was getting concerned, as the problem was obviously more than a few prefs out of whack. I tried some more of the usual resurrection routines, only to discover even more problems. The drive was obviously bad, as were possibly the mobo and/or proc unit.

Off to MacMall w/ the CUSA MDD and the paperwork. Tech at MacMall plugs the serial number of the CUSA MDD into the Apple database, and then informs me that the machine is out of warranty, and that there is no AppleCare on the machine. My level of concern escalates immensely, and…

The saga continues in AppleCare Hell; Part III
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AppleCare Hell; Part II – “Product Failure”
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 13, 2006 12:47PM
[forums.macresource.com] Part 3
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020