AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dishwasher tip. Too good to be true?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: February 15, 2008 02:43PM
How did Newt miss this? Anybody try?

From "My Way"

Discount Dishwashing Detergent
In your dishwasher, use baking soda in the first detergent dispenser and dish washing detergent in the other. You won't need more than a heaping tablespoon full. Your dishes, pots and pans will be spotless and there will be no need to use the liquid rinses.

Da Good Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 02:59PM by spearmint.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dishwasher tip. Too good to be true.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: February 15, 2008 02:48PM
Way too good. Don't try this at home!!!

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Re: Dishwasher tip. Too good to be true?
Date: February 15, 2008 03:00PM
Let's let Newt try it!
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 15, 2008 03:06PM
I think Mikey should try it...

Cary
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 15, 2008 03:50PM
there's probably something to it...

I like the cheapo baking soda and peroxide toothpastes better than most of the expensive stuff, it just feels "cleaner" to my teeth and mouth. I'm always amazed at Crest & Colgate, et al., with their "new" (and more expensive) toothpastes every other month; they never work better, and only occasionally work as good. I'll wait for Newt's dishwasher report back here, but the theory seems good.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: February 15, 2008 04:03PM
I have routinely used white vinegar and baking soda when washing my snakes water dishes in the dishwasher. Helps cut down on the horrible hard water deposits we get here.

So, yeah, I would say, go for it. smiling smiley
Posted by: Kiva
Date: February 15, 2008 04:23PM
i assume the baking soda goes in the smaller, pre-wash bin thingy?

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: martin
Date: February 15, 2008 04:25PM
But, don't put liquid dish detergent in your dishwasher, unless is is specifically designed for dish washers. Regular liquid "Joy" soap will create an I-Love-Lucy like mountain of bubbles oozing out from your machine into the room. Ugly mess.
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 15, 2008 04:30PM
Can someone just sprinkle baking soda all over the dirty dishes before closing the door?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 15, 2008 04:33PM
martin
But, don't put liquid dish detergent in your dishwasher, unless is is specifically designed for dish washers. Regular liquid "Joy" soap will create an I-Love-Lucy like mountain of bubbles oozing out from your machine into the room. Ugly mess.

same thing will happen if you use normal quantities of regular laundry detergent in a partial load in a front loader washing machine. Took about 4 washes with no soap to get rid of all the foam. (not my fault, had a house guest for 2 months)
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 15, 2008 04:38PM
deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 04:40PM by Cary.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 15, 2008 04:49PM
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: February 15, 2008 05:09PM
martin

hahaha! Reminds me of college. My boyfriend at the time decided to help out and do the dishes. I had plenty of detergent made for the dishwasher, but he decided to use a mixture of hand dish washing soap and dishwasher detergent.

I came home & you're right, it was a mountain of I Love Lucy bubbles all over the place. He was frantically trying to mop them up. All the while, he never bothered to turn off the dishwasher! So as he was mopping up, more were coming out.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 15, 2008 05:13PM
Stephanie
martin

hahaha! Reminds me of college. My boyfriend at the time decided to help out and do the dishes. I had plenty of detergent made for the dishwasher, but he decided to use a mixture of hand dish washing soap and dishwasher detergent.

I came home & you're right, it was a mountain of I Love Lucy bubbles all over the place. He was frantically trying to mop them up. All the while, he never bothered to turn off the dishwasher! So as he was mopping up, more were coming out.

And the kitchen floor was never cleaner. smiling bouncing smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Spock
Date: February 15, 2008 05:14PM
bilb, I thought "Moby Dick" was a social disease.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: February 15, 2008 06:10PM
Racer X
martin

same thing will happen if you use normal quantities of regular laundry detergent in a partial load in a front loader washing machine. Took about 4 washes with no soap to get rid of all the foam. (not my fault, had a house guest for 2 months)

doing an empty load w/ 1c of vinegar will also de-activate the soap...

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: February 15, 2008 06:13PM
"Baking Soda" aka Sodium bicarbonate, neutralizes acids and acts as a mild water softener, although not as well as Borax.

btw, do not use baking soda when cleaning aluminum, it will attack the protective oxide layer, exposing the bare aluminum which is very reactive.

Took about 4 washes with no soap to get rid of all the foam. (not my fault, had a house guest for 2 months).
kiva, one soap less wash with 4oz of liquid fabric softener would have fixed it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 06:16PM by Panopticon.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 15, 2008 06:28PM
I'm a bit confused -- Minty's tip is to use baking soda in the "open" cup and dish detergent in the "closed" one (the one with a door for you to close) ...? First off, the dish detergent, does he mean regular dish detergent, or hand dish detergent? (As others have noted, hand dish detergent will make a soapy mess...) If so, I'm not sure how this saves you on anything? You're just using less detergent, but some people don't fill both compartments to begin with...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 15, 2008 07:35PM
PeterB
I'm a bit confused -- Minty's tip is to use baking soda in the "open" cup and dish detergent in the "closed" one (the one with a door for you to close) ...? First off, the dish detergent, does he mean regular dish detergent, or hand dish detergent? (As others have noted, hand dish detergent will make a soapy mess...) If so, I'm not sure how this saves you on anything? You're just using less detergent, but some people don't fill both compartments to begin with...

what if you don't use gel detergent, but those "pills" (which are supposed to be better anyway). Then you use only 1 instead of 2. That's 50% savings right there.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 15, 2008 08:34PM
Everyone that I know that tried those "pills", us included, stopped using them. They didn't work as well. Plus, the ones with the capsule in them cause plumbing problems.
Date: February 15, 2008 09:00PM
PeterB

1st cup to me meant the closed one. Dishwasher detergent in 2nd which is smaller in size?

This is not my idea but quoted from the webpage "My Way." If this gets any uglier it is going to end up on the Darkside. I suspect slow TV night. Lighten up folks! TGIF?

Oh Lucy!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 15, 2008 09:26PM
Minty, checking it a bit, it seems like they mean to use baking soda in the open cup, because the baking soda's supposed to soften the water and help the detergent do its work?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:12PM
Why would the "first cup" be the normally optional one? I think I may get some baking soda and experiment tomorrow. Somewhat hard water here. Garbage disposal getting funky and soda is good for that too. Then the leftover stuff into the frig to get out baloney and salami scent. Wish me luck.

Da Good Life
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2008 11:15AM
we use the little pills -- they work fine

but we use liquid dishwasher detergent on our glass shower doors...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 16, 2008 03:29PM
spearmint
Why would the "first cup" be the normally optional one? I think I may get some baking soda and experiment tomorrow. Somewhat hard water here. Garbage disposal getting funky and soda is good for that too. Then the leftover stuff into the frig to get out baloney and salami scent. Wish me luck.

fill a garnage disposal with ice (great use for old funky ice in your cube trays) and dump about a cup of baking soda on top, and let it go. It will scare the crap out of you, but won't hurt it. It will scrape and scour it clean.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: February 16, 2008 04:53PM
...It will scrape and scour it clean.

...and this concludes this week's broadcast of
MRF's Household Tips for MacGeeks on PBS...
smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020