advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
painting concrete patio, advice?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 08, 2006 11:48PM
I have a concrete patio, maybe 10x18, and I'd like to paint it soon. I've never done a project like this and would love to get some advice. I'm not planning to do a fancy stain, or any rock patterns, just paint. Thanks for any info.

Dave
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: painting concrete patio, advice?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 09, 2006 12:22AM
outside, "Just Paint" is , like, a non starter.
latex paint will just peel off. You seriously need to talk to the guys at your paint store. they will tell you you need to clean the patio, then etch it (Muriatic acid is often the solution) to degrease and improve porosity. Then you need a 'paint' that will hold up in your environment.
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 09, 2006 01:36AM
[www.valsparatlowes.com]

Quikrete Epoxy Coating? Thats what I have in my garage. Light Grey.

What you probably need is a concrete stain for your patio.

Carm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2006 01:39AM by Carm.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 09, 2006 07:52AM
I agree with Carm, concrete stain is the way to go. I used a concrete stain on the concrete around my pool. Stain works better for outdoor concrete as it won't peel off like paint. Mine came from Sherwin Williams H&C concrete stain, I think. If you have a knowledgeable paint store, go there and ask for some advice. And, like all painting/staining jobs, the proper prep is what makes for a good looking finished product. BTW, the stain I used has a finished look like paint, and comes in regular paint like colors.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: April 09, 2006 08:15AM
You want advice, take what everyone here is sayint to heart...DON'T PAINT. It just makes a mess when it start to peel 2-4 years down the road. Staining is a MUCH better route to take as stain doesn't peel, it just fades, which is easy to patch up and have it still looking clean and even.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 09, 2006 08:15AM
If it's a smooth surface and you want to add just a hint of non-skid to it, just toss a handful of clean sand (like used to mix cement) in each gallon. mix well and then roll it on.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: karsen
Date: April 09, 2006 08:43AM
I painted my patio a couple years ago with some stuff reccommended to me by the fine people at The Home Depot. It still looks nice and was fairly inexpensive. I could see it needing a touch up in a couple years though. Maybe stain would have been better-I don't know-but I have been happy with the concrete paint so far.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: April 09, 2006 03:00PM
Thanks for all the advice.
dave
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: April 09, 2006 09:11PM
Epoxy paint works very well, but you really need to add sand if it's used on areas that get used when wet, 'cause it's just real slick and slippery when wet. I vote for stain.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020